Top Safety Tips For Residential Electrical Wiring

Despite the abundant benefits of electricity, it can still be a dangerous technology if you don't handle it properly. For example, even relatively "simple" mistakes during electrical wiring can lead to electrical shocks or electrocutions. Here are some helpful tips to prevent such dangers.

Switching Off the Mains

Before you start working on any electrical installation or wiring in your house, switch off power from the circuit at the breakers. If possible, switch off the whole power to the house so that you are sure the power will really be off for the duration of the repair. Leave a note on the breaker to alert others who may think that the breaker has tripped and switch it back on. Don't skip this step whether you only want to do a "quick" installation or even if you are not sure you will be handling hot wires.

Work with Dry Hands

One of the most dangerous things you can do is to handle electrical materials with wet hands. The water may conduct electricity and trigger a short circuit that may result in a nasty electrical shock. Therefore, ensure your hands are dry throughout the repair project. For example, if you go to the bathroom and wash your hands during a break, dry your hands before you resume work. Do this even if you have switched off power at the breaker. Who knows, maybe you switched off power at the wrong breaker or the breaker box has a fault that might still allow current to flow.

Wearing Protective Gear

Protective gear in this case mainly refers to shoes with thick rubber, goggles, and gloves. The shoes and gloves will reduce the risk of electrical shock should you touch on a hot wire. The goggles will protect your eyes, for example, if an electrical shock sends sparks flying in your direction. Don't attempt DIY wiring if you don't have such safety gear.

Using the Right Materials

Improvisation is a dangerous thing when it comes to electrical wiring; always use the right tools and materials for every job. For example, a red cable transmits electrical current just like a green cable, but the two are meant for different purposes as evidenced by their different color codes. Therefore, if you run out of the red cable and use the green one in its palace, you risk an electrical shock if you forget about the mix-up and handle the green cable thinking it is grounding (and doesn't carry electricity).

DIY electrical wiring can save you money, but it is also fraught with dangers. The key is to know your limits so that you can call a professional electrician from a place like Anna Electric every time you come across something you are not equipped to handle.